Monday, November 12, 2012

Expressing Grattitude to the Army of Warriors Fighting the Sociopath




Find something to be THANKFUL about!

Thanksgiving is right around the corner. I have noticed that some of my Facebook friends have begun posting statuses related to being thankful. For a survivor of a sociopath, it can be tough to see through the murky waters and find the good in our lives. Yet, it is there and often in abundance. We just forget to acknowledge it.

Despite the agony of my custody situation, I also have much to be grateful for. Throughout my fight, I have remained blessed. During my darkest hours, I have angels that have faithfully supported me. So, I want to take the opportunity to share with you some of the best people in my life. They are the army that fights by my side.

I am grateful for:

My Son:

He is a wonderful little person and is the best thing I have ever done.

I am so grateful that despite losing the first custody fight I was awarded shared custody. Too many moms wind up with every other weekend or supervised visitation. It is far better to have my son every other week. My son has the opportunity to be with a healthy parent, if only for 50% of the time.

My Friends:

I have some amazing friends. Along this journey, I learned to tell the difference between who was a genuine friend and who wasn't. I ditched the fakers. I learned that those who stuck by me have solid gold hearts and can be counted on no matter what. They are always there for me, win or lose. You can't buy that kind of loyalty- it is a gift.

My Family:

Throughout my life, my family has never been especially close. We have always been geographically distanced and enmeshed in our own lives. I never saw them as a support system. But when I needed them, they came running. I never had to ask. They were just there. Facing evil has brought us closer and I am grateful.

My Counselor:

I have the world's best counselor. She doesn't know it, but she is a gift from God. Without her, I don't know that I would have seen through the mask of the sociopath nearly so quickly or so completely. She is one smart lady, with a beautiful soul. She has given me countless hours of support; far more than what she has been paid for. I am grateful.

My Attorneys:

This may seem strange to you, since I lost both my initial custody case and my appeal. Too often, I think we blame our own shortcomings on our lawyers. I know I placed a huge burden on my primary attorney's shoulders. Yet, she has been a ruthless avenger. She was so personally appalled at what has happened. This case hurt her, yet she continues to advocate and fight for my son. She is a warrior and she doesn't know it. One day she will be an amazing judge; a voice for Tennessee's children in the court system.

My appellate attorney taught me a lot about the law and legal strategy. He taught me to stand up against unethical attorneys and that there is more than one way to skin a cat. He taught me to never let a lie go unchallenged and to keep fighting. He is not a softhearted person. He is sneaky and ruthless; abrupt to the point of being semi rude sometimes. From him, I learned how to be an effective warrior. The truth may be slow at being revealed, but if I don't quit it will come to light.

You:

Without the support of moms like you, my fight would be a lonely one. It is both appalling and helpful to know that I am not alone. I share your pain, and I hope to share in your triumph. Sociopathy is a devastating disorder. Together, we are gaining public awareness on how common this disorder is and learning better ways to protect our children. Thank you. I am grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment