Thursday, November 8, 2012

A Sociopaths Primer on Entertaining Children: Violence and Antisocial Behavior





If you asked me to choose, I would have a hard time telling you what annoys me the most about the sociopath's parenting style. Aside from the true horrors of what is being done to my son, there is a whole slew of smaller things that I can't stand. It would be great material for a book, “How to Be the World's Worst Father EVER”.
 
Today, my concerns center around what he thinks is appropriate entertainment for my son. Let's just say if the show has violence, he is going to tell my son to watch it. Last weeks lineup in his evening itinerary is:

  • Halloween (1 thru 100)
  • Walking Dead
  • Sons of Anarchy
Now, I love a good zombie story as much as the next person. I can't wait to see what happens this season on Walking Dead. BUT I don't let my 5 year old watch it and I don't watch it where my child can see it.

Oh, I can hear Nimrod (sociopath's child custody lawyer) now, yelling to the rooftops,”You see Your Honor, she will nit pick him to death. Nothing he does will ever be good enough! Complaining about him watching TV, for Pete's sake”

And, you may agree with him that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with allowing a 5 yr old boy to watch some of television's most gruesome moments.

Here's the caveat: my ex has Antisocial Personality Disorder. My son is at risk for developing the same thing. Violence on television DOES have an impact on him. The American Academy of Pediatrics released a study that found that boys between the ages of 3 – 5 who viewed this type of content were more likely to be aggressive and engage in antisocial behavior at 7 – 10 years of age.

Here is the link to the study:


It just serves as a subtle reminder that when it comes to fighting for my child, even ordinary everyday things can be a tool for the sociopath.

No comments:

Post a Comment